A Handful of Guys

25 Nov

Regarding the idea of how a proper radical feminist should disown men..No. I cannot do this.

Sure, I’m furious at men as a class. Sure, I avoid them as much as possible.

But I’m not going to disown my brother, who is in some ways troubled, for no fault of his own. Who has always been my ally.

I’m not going to disown my stepfather, who has always been kind and supportive.

I’m not going to disown the guy I got to know on Facebook who did me the kindness of posting wonderful rebuttals to the sadly ignorant woman who attacked me when I wrote that men cannot be women.

I’m not going to disown the other guy on Facebook who helped very much in that department, either.

Not gonna happen. Radical feminism constitutes a beautiful and solid philosophy, but we cannot demonize men simply for being men. Because that would be just too cruel to those unusual souls who really do work hard at trying to understand.

We are all victims. Yes, men are dangerous as a class. But male allies exist. Guys who listen and learn. Who get it.

8 Responses to “A Handful of Guys”

1. Aussa Lorens 2013/11/27 at 1:30 am #

That’s a refreshing perspective– it would be kind of blind to shun a group of people as a whole simply because they exist within that group. Also, I am glad you have someone who comes to your aid on facebook. Ugh, that place is toxic. I very rarely engage in all the debating until someone picks on one of my sister-in-laws and then the gloves come off and I get a wee bit frightening.

• Miep 2013/11/27 at 1:38 am #

Yes. I bailed on Facebook though because of their moderation policies. I don’t want to help them make money. WordPress is a nifty platform, so flexible and horizontal.

• Miep 2013/11/27 at 1:51 am #

WordPress has also left us relatively ad-free, to date. As long as they don’t get too carried away I wouldn’t mind a bit of ad. Nothing that moves or is text-linked or overlaid though. And. cheap subscription that is ad-free is always good.

• Aussa Lorens 2013/11/27 at 2:22 am #

Yeah… I get the random video ads at the bottom of my page… I know you can pay to take them away but that just does not sound like fun to me. I’m considering transferring over to self-hosting but I now absolutely nothing about it and am kind of terrified at the prospect.

• Miep 2013/11/27 at 2:26 am #

You’re just getting started here. If you want to change platforms, you will figure out how to do it. No need to fret. People are used to a certain amount of such stuff, though I don’t see videos on your page.

• Aussa Lorens 2013/11/27 at 2:30 am #

Well that’s good to hear! I always see them ad they’re for Prius’s or something. Bleh.

2. Miep 2013/11/27 at 2:52 am #

Why bleh Priuses?

3. consentient 2016/04/06 at 8:27 am #

Reblogged this on Consentient.