New Foster Kitten and She’s Young and Pregnant

8 Mar

This is gradually sinking in. I have a foster kitten who is so small she looks like she’s about eight months old, and she is going to give birth. Here. I am going to be in charge of this tiny, sweet, way-too-young kitten giving birth.

It was either me, some other fostering human, or the needle. That’s what happens when people love on their kittens and then let them get pregnant and dump them on animal shelters.

I hate you, humans, for doing that. I don’t blame you for “missing” about spaying your kittens on time, which is about at five months. I’ve blown that one myself.

I do hate you for not having the integrity to at least deal with the outcome. Keep the cat, tend to her kittens. If you take them to your local shelter when they are about six or eight weeks old, they will stand a very good chance of being adopted if you’ve worked with them to socialize them. Our local shelter has a hard time overall with people not wanting to adopt, but young friendly kittens who aren’t sick and are put up for adoption get adopted. That just happens.

So, human who had Amanda (yes, she has a new name now, since you were too cowardly to own up to abandoning her) – you who dumped her on our shelter, what did you think when you did that? Did you think the grown-ups would take charge and fix your mistakes?

Well, somebody did and somebody will do her best with your discarded cat, who is settling down happily in my beat down building where she can stay safe and well-fed and loved.

And when she has her kittens? I’ll love them too, and they will be adopted, not killed, if all goes well. And after Amanda’s milk dries up, she’ll be spayed by the shelter and she will be up for adoption, which should work quite well since she is a really terrific cat.

But none of this was a given, selfish human. Without fosters like me, pregnant cats dumped at shelters get dead.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

8 Responses to “New Foster Kitten and She’s Young and Pregnant”

1. tvkapherr 2014/03/08 at 6:04 am #

I give you a standing ovation! Well said. My only problem is the part where you “find them homes”. I always worry that they don’t get a good homem (Which is probably why I have 18 cats.) :)

• Miep 2014/03/08 at 6:13 am #

Hey,thanks. I really appreciate that.

We are lucky here though that we have a wonderful shelter manager who is really skilful about placing pets. I am in awe of her and it’s a blessing to work with her.

2. Aussa Lorens 2014/03/11 at 11:01 pm #

I’m glad she has you to take care of her! I want a kitten. And I promise to spay it *crosses heart, hopes to die*
    *questions whether she really wants to die*
    *spirals into existential crisis*

• Miep 2014/03/11 at 11:47 pm #

You always make me smile.

You can get girl kitties spayed at four or five months. They can come into their first heat at around six months, and then they become wery wery sneaky.

I missed once. My then boyfriend and I raised the kittens all totally organically and made people buy them. We kept two, then we moved to the desert where they lived happily ever after with a woman who fell in love with them until they probably got eaten by coyotes. So it goes.

• Aussa Lorens 2014/03/12 at 8:25 am #

Aw, coyotes. Sadness. I lost a few cats and dogs to them when I was a child.

• Miep 2014/03/12 at 12:11 am #

More about kittens:

Two is better than one because they will entertain each other when you are not in the mood to help with this.

They will knock everything off the shelves. This results in breakage. Be ForeWarned.

• Aussa Lorens 2014/03/12 at 8:27 am #

I’ve told the boyfriend that I need two so that they can play. He remains unconvinced. He thinks my dog can play with it, which may be true. I’m mildly concerned my dog may eat a kitten…. but she’s mostly not vicious so I have my fingers crossed.

• Miep 2014/03/12 at 3:02 pm #

Our shelter manager routinely recommends two, and no, dogs won’t play with them the same way.