Crazy Dog Is So Crazy

30 Jul

imageWho Wants A Crazy Dog?

Me, apparently. I adopted Casey in the summer of 2007. I was being stalked and harassed by four men in our little town here, after being effectively abandoned by the men I thought were my friends.

I went to the animal shelter. Casey was there. He just stood there in the cage, looked at me, wagged his tail.

I asked the shelter personnel to bring him out. We went into a little room. He tried to find things to hide under. I took him to a nice vet. The nice vet said he was about a year old, and look at that broken canine. He could have been chewing at anything.

In retrospect, I can see the signs of trauma. But I needed a dog so badly.

Casey came home with me, that August of 2007. Within days, he took out a window, thunder rumbling off in the distance.

“Stop that right this minute!” I howled from across the yard. Ran. Found my new dog running around bleeding from paw and face. He attacked a glass window to escape from the bad noise. He collapsed in shock, panting, eyes wild.

I nailed stock fencing across the windows. I bought him a thunder shirt. I thought about how my dog was brought to such a terrible state.

Chained up outdoors. Bad thunderstorm. Broke his tooth biting through the chain.

Casey spent his first year with humans who would treat dogs so coldly. Then he spent eight years with me, poor traumatized dog that he is.

He left again yesterday. I let the door be open and he ran off again, fast over the fence and gone.

I decided that if he is found, I have to work to try to find him a new home where there is not all this business of bad noises in the sky. Because that’s a bad way to live, being routinely terrified much of the year.

Casey loves humans, he loves other dogs. He’s nine years old. Still jumping fences though!

10 Responses to “Crazy Dog Is So Crazy”

1. procrastinatrix 2015/07/30 at 1:01 am #

Hi, Miep. My heart goes out to you and Casey. I hope he comes home safe. I’m curious, do you have more thunderstorms than the average?

Liked by 1 person

2. alvahlyall 2015/07/30 at 4:10 am #

Aww. Casey looks like my Lister. Lister is also afraid of thunder. If we don’t bring him in before a storm starts, he leaves. He has been found a couple of kms away. At 13yo he is also a bit senile, and when I track him down and collect him he doesn’t greet me as his long-time friend any more, he looks confused as if he wonders who I am and where I am taking him.
    All the best to you and Casey :)

Liked by 1 person

3. Delphyne49 2015/07/30 at 6:43 am #

He looks like a border collie – they can be terrified of loud noises of any sort. I have one that is and am very careful with her especially since she is epileptic.

When you say “If he is found,” are you not planning on looking for him? If you have to rehome him, you might check a border collie rescue and see if they can help.

• Miep 2015/07/30 at 11:11 am #

Looking for dogs doesn’t work very well. He has tags with my address and he’s microchipped.

This is a heavy monsoon climate. Last time he ran off he turned up four miles away.

Liked by 1 person

4. Miep 2015/07/30 at 3:00 pm #

He turned up at the shelter, so at least he didn’t get hit by a car.

Angela, our magnificent shelter manager, tells me that she doesn’t feel comfortable trying to adopt him out locally, because it will just be the same thing again. She will talk to border collie rescues. She will try to get him out of the monsoon climate. She will do what must be done.

She and her daughter know Casey. I sent photos. Now I am going to go cry some more. I feel amputated.

Liked by 1 person

5. Dogtowner 2015/08/01 at 7:51 am #

Having adopted several old dogs with issues, I would look for help. You mentioned a thunder shirt — have you used any flower essences, Rescue Remedy, etc? I just met an elderly woman yesterday (taking a donation to a donkey/mule/hinney rescue) who had all sorts of things in her fanny pack to give to the animals — fresh peppermint, sweet birch essence, etc. I don’t know what it’s like where you live, but there are people around here who are very knowledgeable about what to do with traumatized/nervous animals. I’ve heard of people using animal communicators to ask the dog himself what he needs.

We have adopted several old dogs, the first of whom was given up by her person after nine years. Laurel could not handle Ceilidh anymore due to Ceilidh’s intense anxiety. First step I took was to stop the DES (yes, that DES) and wean her off the anti-anxiety meds. Ceilidh beat herself with a Kong on a daily basis, which I found very upsetting. The breakthrough came when my husband spilled whey powder on the floor and she licked it up. We started giving her whey regularly — no more anxiety! No more obsession with chasing a Kong, no more beating herself, it was wonderful.

Next old dog was from Arkansas where she lived outside all the time, even during tornadoes. She was part border collie and liked to run off, but stopped when she got very attached. But this is my experience with female dogs — they are far likelier to hang around home (and we do have 44 acres) than male dogs, even neutered male dogs. Zipp never barked or wagged her tail, but I could tell she was happy here, sleeping on all the furniture, going for rides, etc.

I don’t know where a dog could go that there are no thunderstorms — it seems to me that it would be best to try to find help, to anticipate the storms and treat him beforehand? Why does looking for dogs not work well? Because he is so traumatized that he won’t respond to being called? (Or he could be like my one male dog and never respond to being called! Until I found liver biscotti!)

• Miep 2015/08/01 at 3:50 pm #

When a dog runs off in a random direction and doesn’t stop for four miles, that’s about fifty square miles to search. And there is no anticipating the storms, they can come up very fast and he panics even when they are very far away. The slightest hint of thunder and he loses it. The monsoon here can go on for half the year, so it’s a more or less daily thing.

There may not be places where thunderstorms are guaranteed not to happen, but there are places where they are a lot rarer.

6. Dogtowner 2015/08/02 at 2:11 pm #

Do you have a holistic vet in your area? I wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t, the entire state of Maine has two, and ours is well into his seventies.

7. Dogtowner 2015/08/02 at 5:07 pm #

You know, I can’t stop thinking about this situation. You needn’t worry — I will not return to this blog. If I lived within 200 miles of you I would adopt Casey unquestioningly. I’m sorry to say but it does not sound like you care about him that much. A rescued dog from the South (we have to bring dogs from other places into Maine, because there are not enough dogs for adoption in the shelters) ran off after opening two doors at his new home, and an intense search went on for him. Maine is small, but a bit bigger than 50 square miles.

My dog Ceilidh was crazy when I adopted her. I was told she didn’t like other dogs — she loved every dog she met when she was here. She cried continuously and piteously when she was in the truck’s extended cab — she was used to being put in a crate in the back of her former person’s jeep. I was patient, and the day came when she stopped the continuous whining (months and months of it). She had to learn how to become a dog the woman who had her was so rigid. Border collies are a special case — they are incredibly intelligent and need a lot of stimulation, if not outright work. I KNOW there are things that can be done, but Casey needs to be in a home where someone wants to do them. You might contact Grey Muzzles — he’s a senior now and they may be willing to help.

• Miep 2015/08/02 at 5:49 pm #

I am in the middle of helping manage a big Internet project on an immediate set of deadlines and don’t have a lot of time for the rest of the internet right now. No, we do not have a holistic vet. We barely have a decent coffee shop. I don’t have 44 acres of land either, or even a car. I don’t have friends who can reliably help with anything here because I am surrounded by Republican miners, and I thought long and hard before getting involved with dogs, but it was just too hard without them.

I kept Casey for eight years when no one else here would have, so I am not too interested in your accusations. If you are so able to adopt a severely troubled dog and think you can fix his problems with Rescue Remedy or whey powder, I suggest you do so. I am sure you could find one closer.

Comments are closed.