Transphobia in Maryland

19 Sep

Transgender students don’t agree that U. Maryland is a top LGBT-friendly school

“Tat Caicedo, for example, says that “[t]here’s ‘a majority of white cisgender women’ in their classes” and they’re “none of that.” They are a Latinx trans person but are often referred to as a woman.

Did those sentences just confuse you? That may be because the Diamondback piece refers to Caicedo as “they” even though, er, they refer to themself(selves?) as “I” and “me.” Got that?

(To avoid further confusion in this article, italics will be used to indicate when a typically plural pronoun is used in place of a singular pronoun.)

Caicedo says that in one of their classes, everyone in the room is greeted as if all are female — “Hey, ladies,” for example. “Immediately when they say that, I’m completely turned off from the conversation, and unfortunately I can’t learn,” they say.”

HOW DARE THEY

20 Responses to “Transphobia in Maryland”

1. lovetruthcourage 2016/09/19 at 2:29 pm #

Huh?!

2. Angelica 2016/09/19 at 2:49 pm #

I like it when they call me a lady. To me it would be a much appreciated acknowledgement of my gender identity. :o)

• Miep 2016/09/19 at 2:56 pm #

Shifting goalposts and insisting on compliance is a common tactic of abusers. Teachers cannot be expected to constantly accommodate the shifting whims of their students. It’s narcissistic and unreasonable to expect such.

Liked by 3 people

• Angelica 2016/09/19 at 10:22 pm #

lol… I tried to like your reply… but it won’t let me… oh well I agree anyway: Teachers should not have to pander to special snowflake SJWs.. not even to trans special snowflake SJWs ^_^

• Miep 2016/09/19 at 10:25 pm #

I have you in moderation because you do shit like call women cunts sometimes. So I don’t know how that affects whether you can like comments.

I used to just blacklist people, but I’d rather provide a more open forum, and I didn’t know about that setting.

• Angelica 2016/09/19 at 10:32 pm #

oh .. well I don’t remember ever being rude on *your* page, but yes… guilty as charged. ~ blushes ~

Meh… as it obviously annoys you I shall be respectful of your space and make a special effort not post the ‘c’ word (or equivalent) at you.

There aren’t I a nice trans girl?! :o)

• Miep 2016/09/19 at 10:36 pm #

Just remember that when you comment here, you are acting to represent TW.

Liked by 1 person

• lovetruthcourage 2016/09/20 at 4:28 pm #

If you were a nice trans-girl (meaning: man in a skirt, heavy make-up, and Kendall Jenner wig) you would not use the c word. Misogynist men do that.

• Angelica 2016/09/20 at 9:07 pm #

You can wear jeans so why should I not be allowed to wear a skirt?

Anyway these ‘c’ word users aren’t men: https://youtu.be/wVON6OKagwg

It depends on the context, does it not?

• Miep 2016/09/20 at 9:55 pm #

Y’all are never going to agree on certain points, though I do agree that gendered presentation should not be enforced wrt biological sex.

3. bullydawg 2016/09/19 at 8:01 pm #

Well, that’s ‘special’…

The ‘self-importance’ in this particular group of people is…well…underwhelming, to be honest.

Liked by 2 people

• Miep 2016/09/19 at 8:05 pm #

In the long run, nobody is going to care about any of this. Meanwhile it’s one hell of a distraction.

Liked by 1 person

4. roughseasinthemed 2016/09/21 at 12:19 pm #

Some general points. I think Americans are more hung up on being called ladies than we Brits are, but there is a lot of classism in wanting to be called a lady.
    Regardless of whether a class of students is mixed, single sex or includes trans people, I see nothing wrong with a generic greeting of ‘People’ or more colloquially, ‘Folks’. Or everyone. It doesn’t take too much imagination. Surely teachers at a university can manage that?
    GNC and confirmation of gender identity are diametrically opposed.

• lovetruthcourage 2016/09/21 at 5:31 pm #

Being called ladies versus women is not classist in the USA. They are interchangeable terms. It is not like in the UK where lady is a title. In my neck of the woods an inclusive greeting is “you guys.” Yes, that colloquialism includes women!

• Miep 2016/09/21 at 5:35 pm #

I disagree that “ladies” and “women” are interchangeable terms. “Ladies” is more formal.

• lovetruthcourage 2016/09/21 at 5:40 pm #

Okay, it is more formal, but it isn’t a title like in UK or implying anything other than politeness.

• Miep 2016/09/21 at 5:37 pm #

I don’t know how far-reaching “guys” is as an ungendered term. I am familiar with it personally, from living in Los Angeles.

• lovetruthcourage 2016/09/21 at 5:42 pm #

I live in Chicago. It is our standard here, like in restaurants, “What can I get you guys?” This is asked even if literally everyone at the table is a woman.

• roughseasinthemed 2016/09/21 at 11:29 pm #

I’ve written about ladies v women at some length before. In essence, ladies is deemed as more respectful, but that’s from a lower/middle class perspective who aspire to the moneyed/gentried classes. They on the other hand, use women. After all they aspire to nothing, they are already there. There is also an element of feminism in it, as a ‘lady’ implies a refined superior sort of woman, whereas a ‘woman’ is less desirable, perhaps rough/common/working class. We are all women. Out of the same mould.
        On ‘you guys’ I find it deploringly sexist. The day I hear a group of men being called ‘you gals’ I may consider otherwise. You guys is like using the default he, firemen, policeman, postman, chairman, because it includes women too. It doesn’t.

Liked by 1 person

• lovetruthcourage 2016/09/22 at 7:05 am #

Cultural differences, for sure. But, no, American women are definitely not hung up on being called ladies, far less so than Brits. American culture is very informal.