My First Assault

9 Oct

When I was but a child, I lived down the street from a grocery store. I would go to the liquor department to buy candy, because that’s where the candy was.

The kindly old clerk would save me old pennies he found in the change. I got interested in coin collecting. He found me some fairly scarce ones. It was nice to have this grown-up friend.

When I was ten we moved away. When I was thirteen I came back to visit my stepfather, and managed to make my way back to the grocery store to see if the clerk was still there.

He still was! I was so delighted to see him.

After I greeted him and reminded him of who I was, he reached out and groped my breast. He looked away. Then he handed me a chocolate-covered cherry and waved me out of the store.

He’d remembered they were my favorites.

What I remember from this was being so disappointed in him.

8 Responses to “My First Assault”

1. friendpilgrim 2016/10/10 at 12:25 am #

I cannot like this. Hugs if you want them.

Liked by 2 people

• Miep 2016/10/10 at 12:35 am #

All righty. It’s kind of a response to all this Trump garbage, I’m not stressed about it. Thank you. x

Liked by 1 person

• friendpilgrim 2016/10/10 at 5:48 pm #

I’m sorry. I am not sure I communicated what I intended to say. I cannot like that he assaulted you. I cannot like that he thought that handing you a piece of candy constituted anything like an apology or a restitution for his betrayal. I cannot like that you were assaulted as I was assaulted, nor that girls continue to be assaulted. I hate all of that with a fucking passion.

But your writing was moving and anchored itself in the fact that while he behaved in a dehumanizing fashion (despite remembering such a human thing about you as your favorite candy – that detail seemed to me to make his betrayal a thousand times worse.)

I wish I could blink across the miles with a warm cup of mulled cider and a dartboard.

• Miep 2016/10/10 at 6:01 pm #

You made yourself perfectly clear. I was just telling you that I wrote this because of political timing, not because I was currently feeling distressed about it for some reason.

The writer in me sees it abstractly as a good story. Hmmm I’ll add it to my book notes.

Liked by 1 person

2. lovetruthcourage 2016/10/10 at 7:04 am #

Yeah, like a piece of candy makes it all better! Geez! A disappointment indeed!

3. purplesagefem 2016/10/11 at 8:18 am #

Men shouldn’t be allowed in public.
    This makes me think about writing about mine. Not sure if I feel like it though.

4. Heartwitch 2016/10/12 at 2:52 pm #

That’s so, so sad.

5. roughseasinthemed 2016/10/16 at 1:26 am #

You know what’s interesting? That women who have never been assaulted think it only happens to a rare minority (ha tee ha) and think radical feminists are some strange perverted breed with a bee in their bonnets about men who assault rape and murder women.

Liked by 1 person